Mankind has brought forth various fermented food products from ancient times as a means of improving the preservation/storage, flavor and taste. In recent years, in Japan, the multifarious functions of fermented food and food enzymes have been scientifically demonstrated attracting a lot of attention.
The Role of Koso – botanical enzymes
Currently, the food or supplement industry focuses on 100% pure-fruit enzymes that can be extracted from grapes, papaya, apple, pineapple, guava and sugarcane. Sugar contents of sug arcane have been converted and hydrolyzed to fructose and glucose. It is a rich source of food nutrients which can be classified as Q10, vitamins and miner als. It contains several enzymes which are natural substances that act as workers so that the nutrients, vitamins and minerals are readily assimilated, ab sorbed and utilized by the body.
How enzymes work.
ENZYMES are protein molecules that catalyze chemical reactions of other substances without themselves being destroyed or altered upon completion of the reactions. They are found in all living cells and are essential to lives. They digest food and convert them into food energy and essential nutrients for the vital functioning of metabolism and total well being.
Fundamentally, the chemical reaction takes place at the cellular level called metabolism. Metabolism is necessary for growth, maintenance of life and the performance of biological functions. Enzymes are involved in all metabolic activities, if the enzymes in our body are not functioning properly, the entire body metabolism is disrupted. If we eat poor and unbalanced meals, the body cannot produce enough enzymes so vital to the human body, and if there are not enough enzymes being produced, our body will feel weak and lethargic – when it is often said that, your yin and yang is not in balance. Hence, we need to consume sufficient organic raw vegetal plants, fruits, herbs, and yeast, to prevent enzyme deficiency, to enhance our all round vitality and improve our “Chi” so that we do not feel sick and tired easily.
“Koso” contains lactic acid, acetic acid, amino acids, protein, etc., produced in juicing or fermentation processes — i.e. high-quality nutrients that will be delivered to every part of the body to support healthy physical building. A daily koso-rich diet helps maintain the balance of intestinal environment – the digestion and absorption of nutrients are conducted smoothly, resulting in the effective intake of high-quality energy.
The main efficacies of Koso Botanical Enzyme are:
- Digest Food Completely (Improves Elimination, Digestion, Absorption)
- Cleansing (Purifies Blood & Lymphatics, Detoxifies, Allergy Relief, Improves Skin)
- Neutralizing Free Radicals (Combats Side Effects of Alcohol, Tobacco, Drugs, Environmental Pollution, Reduces Risk of Cancer, Heart Disease, Stroke, Diabetes, Arthritis, Sports Injury…)
- Balancing Health Condition (Balances Metabolism, Normalizes Weight)
- Nourishing (Increases Energy, Stamina, Improves Memory, Retards Aging, Tones Nervous System, Fights Stress, Clearer Thinking, Feeling of Well Being,)
- Purification of Blood & Detoxification
- Normalization and activation of fundamental metabolism
- Normalization of bacteria inside the intestine
- Normalization of hormone balance & Supply of trace nutrient
- Strengthening of natural recovery and vitality
Botanical Enzymes are said to help to improve the following conditions:
- Gastroenteritis (digestive) disorder & liver disease
- Hypertension & Hypo-tension (high & low blood pressure)
- Neuralgia (headache, muscle stiffness, back & neck-ache)
- Constipation (poor bowel movement – too much oily & spicy food)
- Irregular menstruation (stomach cramp); Cold; Asthma; Burn
- Premature aging – will redress attention problems and poor skin complexion
- Dry & sore throat (smoker) & thick head (alcoholic intoxication, hangover); Overweight; Bedsore & Athlete’s foot
Koso is found in most veggies, deep greens, in natto and shio-koji (rice-byproduct)
The most koso-rich foods include:
Melon; Pineapple; Kiwi; Ginger – tanpaku shizhi
Banana; cabbage; yamaimo(lit. mountain potato); daikon — tansui kabutsu
Effect of koso decreases with heat. Optimum between 42-28 degrees C. and stay effective till 60 degrees C. The enzymes die at higher temperatures 60-70 degrees C. Microwaving kills the live enzymes.
Juicing alone is not efficacious, juiced enzymes should be consumed in conjunction with other types of foods for full benefits.
Cooking over slow heat with shichirin is said to be an excellent way.
How to use koso:
Add to soften, season meat
Fried green sliced papaya, add to salads
The Takahashi Daisuke Bento Diet:
Minerals+lost of shellfish
Mixed salads (include cress, asparagus, broccoli, capsicums or green peppers, tomatoes, renkon water turnip
Dressing of goma sesame (koso-rich) dressing
Potato corn soup
Note: ***A must is to include in your diet once every 3 days (minimum) Broccoli sprouts
His formula for obento is include foods that contain mi-ha-ne combination, i.e. Fruit-Leaf-Root combination
Fruit=polyphenols, Vitamin C
Sources and references: